Saturday, August 16, 2014


PLEASE MEET ANOTHER RISING ACTOR FROM MY OWN CHILDHOOD HOME TOWN OF ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA -
COURTNEY FURNELL



1                    Please tell us a little bit about your background;

                          A:        I was born and grew up in Adelaide. I have a pretty complex family background, but the simple version - I’m the eldest, with two younger brothers. Beau is twenty seven and D’Arcy is twenty two and I have two beautiful parents; Mignon and Darcy. We moved around a little when I was younger, so I went to two different primary schools and two different high schools. I failed Year twelve the first year around by just one point, so I went back to get my High School Equivalency.


2                    You are an actor.  Have you always wanted to be an entertainer or did you aspire to be something else when you were younger?

         A:          Ever since I can remember I’ve loved “playing pretend”, but then again, what kid hasn’t? I started taking drama classes when I was about nine or ten. My mum would look into local theatre groups which offered classes and then that’s what I chose to do as my extra curricular. I was involved in probably two or three different drama centres until I was thirteen. During high school I continued with some acting classes and took part in all drama productions. After high school I showed an interest in the behind-the-scenes side of TV & Film; ultimately falling back into acting though.

The simple answer is - yes, I have always wanted to be an entertainer of some description.


3                    Is anyone else in your family and/or relations in entertainment?

          A:         No.


4                    Have you been professionally trained in acting?

          A:        I have just been accepted into an acting school opening its doors in Adelaide. Up until now, I have taken part in professional acting classes.


5                    Are you professionally managed or do you represent yourself?

         A:        I have an agent. But I am yet to be “professionally” managed.


6                    What have you appeared in?

           A:          I haven’t appeared in anything yet. I’m a real “newbie”, but I’m excited about that.




7                    Have you worked alongside any well-known names?

          A:            No. Well, unless you count performing with them in several high school drama productions.


8                    What do you enjoy doing in your ‘spare’ time?

         A:           Watching my favourite TV Shows, catching a new movie, keeping myself fit & catching up with friends and family.


9                    Have you ever been bullied?

    A:              I feel like most people have been bullied in some way. I certainly wasn’t the worst case in any school I attended and I never felt as though I couldn’t go to school because of it. If I wasn’t in drama class, I feel like it could have been worse, but through drama I made a lot of friends from different “cliques”. I was what I would describe as a “drifter”. I didn’t have a group of certain friends - I just floated from group to group. There were a fair amount of people throughout school that thought I was weird and would make fun of me behind my back for it. I just marched to the beat of my own drum and upon reflection I didn’t care what anyone thought. Though, I can admit I was a “people pleaser” - all I wanted is for everyone to like me. It took me too long to realise that was never going to be possible.

I do realise that bullying doesn’t just take place in school. It can take place anywhere at any time in life.


10                Whether you have been bullied or not, do you feel that the governments and schools around the world are doing enough to try to combat this problem?

        A:          I don’t think there is ever anything anyone can do that would be ENOUGH. There is certainly always more than can be done. I feel that by what we see on the news there is a lot more that can be done in some schools in the United States, but the same can be said of Australian schools. The fact there is a zero tolerance for bullying now is great! But kids will always find a way around it. I don’t know if bullying will ever be completely eradicated.


11                What further do you feel the above could and should do to either try to combat this problem hugely – or eliminate it altogether?

       A:            As mentioned, I don’t think it will ever be eliminated completely. Though, I do believe that anyone working in the education system should be completely neutral when it comes to their beliefs on fluid sexuality and depression. I feel as though it plays a big part in bullying and not just by the students. I suffered from the “Black Dog” in high school badly and there wasn’t enough support back then. I feel that on a whole though, all parts of the world are doing what they can to combat bullying.



12                On a personal level, what would you like to do to help in the fight against bullying?

        A:          I would love to be someone that people can talk to. Share my stories and be a sounding board. Prove to them that things get better. For one, that life is not what it is in high school. Secondly, that you can get through any sort of bullying, whether it be in school or the workplace.


13                What advice would you give to someone who is experiencing this nightmare at the moment?

         A:           That life gets better. It sounds trivial and something only an “old person would say”. But it’s SO true. Life is not what it’s like in high school, some people grow up and some don’t, but you will be the one that comes out on top. Don’t let the bullying ruin your life, because you WILL get through it and you’ll show your bullies that in one way or another you survived.

Again, this is the same for bullying in the workplace. You have to take the power away from you bully.


14                What is on your professional agenda for the rest of 2014?

       A:               I am starting at Film & TV Studio International in Adelaide in October. So, that is my main priority for the rest of this year. However, I have also written a short film that I am trying to get funding for; that will be an additional priority for the remainder of the year.


15                Do you have a special message you would like to share with the world?

         A:                  DARE TO DREAM.



16                Is there anything further you would like to add?

         A:                Adding to the above:

It sounds SO obvious, but literally DO IT. Don’t worry about the trivial day-to-day of life, just pick what you would love to do for the rest of your life and if that’s what you REALLY want to do; MAKE IT HAPPEN. Life is too short to live it for other people.


LINKA

      StarNow
      FaceBook







No comments:

Post a Comment