Saturday, March 15, 2014

FROM THE UK, PLEASE WELCOME ACTOR

OWEN  DICKEY



1                   Please tell us a little bit about your background.

               A:  I am the youngest of 9 children - I’ve always been active and adventurous; star sign Libra and have always had a strong sense justice - that is, good morals. I tend to examine an argument from both sides before making up my mind about an issue. There are too many sheep in this world who just go along with something because it’s the popular thing to do.


2                   You are an actor.  Have you always wanted to be in the entertainment industry?

                           A:      No, I’m what you would call a late bloomer. The truth is I never really knew what I wanted to do. After school I was successively unemployed or had dead end jobs. I first got interested in screenwriting, then directing, but real life always kept getting in the way and I was in my late 30s before stepping in front of the camera as an extra.


3                   What have you acted in?

                           A:         Films: 'Your Highness', 'Killing Bono', 'Keith Lemon'; the movie,
'Christopher & His Kind', and the short film, 'Betrayal'
                                       TV Series: 'Game of Thrones', 'Hidden', 'In the Line of Duty'.
                                       Theatre:  'The Wake', 'The Jeremy Byle Christmas Show', 'Inherit the Wind', 'The Christmas Present',  'A Cup of Chai Tea', 'The Chronicles of Lannin' and a comedy based on Macbeth!


4                   Have you worked with any celebrities?

                           A:         'Working with' may be too strong a term but I have appeared with and been in the same scene as James Franco, Danny McBride, Natalie Portman, Sean Bean, Lena Headey, Charles Dance, Ben Barnes, Robert Sheehan, Keith Lemon, Kelly Brook, Matt Smith, Imogen Poots and Philip Glenister.


5                   Are you professionally managed or do you represent yourself?

                          A:    I represent myself at the moment, but am hoping to get an agent soon.



6                   Are any members of your family or relations in ‘showbiz’?

                           A:      No, none whatsoever.


7                   What and/or who are your inspirations?

                           A:         As regards acting quite a few actors have inspired me - such as Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Gerard Butler and your fellow Australian, Hugh Jackman has been a big inspiration to me. In interviews I’ve seen, he seems to have a very similar mindset to my own. Also, my acting coach, Dean Carey, (another Australian), has inspired me to deliver the best performances I can.




8                   Have you ever been bullied?

                           A:       Yes, in my first couple of years at High School. I was small, thin and wore glasses and a little over-awed by big school.  I was what bullies love - an easy target. In my third year I started to get more confident and after one particular incident nobody bothered me any more.


9                   Whether you have been bullied or not, do you feel the governments and schools worldwide are doing enough to combat this problem?

                           A:      I think it’s regarded as just a natural part of growing up and isn't taken as seriously as it should be.


10             What more do you feel they could be doing to either decrease bullying hugely or eliminate it completely?

                         A:        I don’t think governments can legislate the problem away, really it’s down to school’s showing a zero tolerance, for instance by immediate suspension leading to expulsion. Though, if suspension came with a Government fine on the parents that would probably do a lot of good. Parents have an important part to play, if children are brought up with a good moral compass, they are much less likely to become bullies.


11             What is next in the pipeline for Owen Dickey?

                        A:         I have a play coming up at the end of the month and have been looking at directing and acting in the Agatha Christie play, ‘And Then There Were None’, I also want to write a low-budget feature film this year and hopefully get to audition for some interesting roles.


12             Do you have a message you would like to impart to the world?

                       A:        Stay true to yourself, don’t try to be something you’re not, treat other people as you would wish to be treated and don’t be a sheep!






No comments:

Post a Comment